Saturday, February 16, 2002

Ok, time for the Friday Five:

1. What was the first thing you ever cooked?
I'm not sure; it could be Eggs on Toast with Dad one time, or it could be the pancakes Tim (friend in primary school) & I made for breakfast one time in grade 5 after my birthday sleep-over.

2. What's your signature dish?
Probably my pasta-bakes. I also do a mean stir-fry.

3. Ever had a cooking disaster? (tasted like crap, didn't work, etc.) Describe.
The wagon-wheels pasta. This won't mean much to anyone but my family.

When I was in grade 11 or 12, my parents got into this domestic training thing saying 'well, you have to move out one day & damn it we're going to teach you to be self-sufficient'. The lessons were informal and were mostly me watching or doing something while mum or dad explained the how but more importantly the why of the lesson. It wasn't just me, my sisters were involved too.

Anyways, most of the lessons were on cooking. After a couple, we were allocated nights & had to prepare the family dinner. If you weren't cooking, you had to set/clear the table or had to do the washing up. One of my earliest solo attempts was a sort of tuna morney with pasta and a salad, only I buggered up the timing (timing being one of the more important parts of successful cooking I was to realise very quickly) and was rushed into serving the meal with only half-cooked pasta that looked like little wagon-wheels (about the sizze of an AU 20c coin). While the rest of the meal was edible, one of my sisters had to clean up a whole lot of uneaten pasta.

4. If skill and money were no object, what would make for your dream meal?
Oooh, I like these questions that make me think. I think I'd go to that restaurant in Sydney where you put $100 on the table and your own chef comes out & chats to you about what sort of food you like or not, the tastes and textures etc, then goes out the back and comes up with a meal of completely original dishes based on your likes & dislikes. Oh yeah, and if money were no object I'd take all of my friends with me.

5. What are you doing this weekend?

Housemate interviews today, followed by Carnivale tonight in Civic. No plans for Sunday yet.

Posted by Dean @ 2/16/2002 09:54:00 am

...Survey says...

Elsewhere

BlogsNow | |

Stats

Page loads since 9 Nov 04:

Statistics

Tools

Powered by Blogger