Friday, November 23, 2001



Heather has some interesting and very catchy memes; one is the 'Friday Five' and the other is answering questions with song lyrics. I like them both, but this week I'll just start with the former:

My Friday Five

1. What was the last book you read? Did you enjoy it?
Yesterday I finished The Return Of The King (Part 3 of The Lord of the Rings trilogy). I'd originally intended to only read the first part in time for the movies' Boxing Day release date, but then the brain flicked into the "must find out what happens next" mode and I had to continue. I have read them all before, but I got more out of them this second time around. I also read Fight Club between parts 1 and 2.

2. What's you're most favorite book of all time?
Ooo, a hard one. Possibly the dictionary; not really a page-turner, but irreplacably useful when the need comes.

3. What's the worst book you've ever read?
Temple by Matthew Reilly. I say if you want to write screenplays, write screenplays, not novels. A no-brainer page-turner suitable for long train/plane rides or if you really really need to switch your brain off. I initially thought the "flashbacks via the translated document" writing device was a good idea until I noticed the Spanish Conquistadors were acting/speaking as if in a contemporary action movie; imagine a period fight scene with the dialogue "Hey man, back off before I put a cap in yo' ass".

4. What book that you've read would you most like to see adapted into a movie?
I have a few: Hit Man and Hit List by Lawrence Block or Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith.

5. How do you plan to spend your weekend?
Quiet night tonight. Check out bits & pieces at the Computer Markets at EPIC tomorrow. Tamara's farewell @ Trinty Bar, Dickson in the evening. People coming around sometime Sunday to watch "Making of" doco on the Blues Brothers DVD.

Phew...

I am only 32% ADDICTED TO THE INTERNET.




While I'm on the successfull meme bandwagon, I thought I might as well take the Internet Addiction test. That said, I shan't be doing the Affliction or Robot test - I just needed to see how I was doing on this scale. I think a few things saved me:
- I have lots of normal offline friends and do a lot of things offline
- I play a sport
- I have a job (where there is the 'net access, but it's not the focus of work)
- I go to real events, not virtual ones
- None of my clothes have dot-anything written on them, nor do they advertise any IT company
- I don't play role playing games (ok so I dabbled once or twice in highschool, but I never inhaled. My old highschool friend Tom, however, made it quite big - ie World Champion - with some card game called Magic, which is just as well, as he dumped a shitload of money into RPG stuff)

Posted by Dean @ 11/23/2001 09:44:00 pm

...Survey says...

Elsewhere

BlogsNow | |

Stats

Page loads since 9 Nov 04:

Statistics

Tools

Powered by Blogger