Tuesday, November 06, 2001



Melbourne Cup

Well it seems almost mandatory today to write about your Melbourne Cup experience.

We had a division luncheon at work with food, drink and some great desserts for the bargain price of $10. I spent an additional $5 on the office sweeps and was going well with Freemason coming second for the first part of the race, but ultimately came away empty-handed and full-stomached. I didn't feel too bad about it tho; the money was redistributed to people I like, rather than anonymous hoards via the TAB.

The Storm

I love storms. Let me repeat for emphasis; I love storms. It could be the fact that I grew up in Qld (sub-tropical summer storms rock) or it could be some primitive awe at the power of nature, I don't know, I just love storms.

Canberra got a great storm this afternoon. A hot, humid day developed into a hot, humid day with a mottled green and purple canopy of thick, saturated cloud, and when it broke, man, it broke. Thunder, lightning and rain the likes of which I haven't seen in the (almost) two years I've been here. I haven't seen any weather sites / news reports yet, but I'm sure it's done some major damage somewhere.

As I write the cloud cover hasn't lifted. The rain has stopped (for now) and I can hear the rumble of thunder not so distant and I'm thinking I should probably get off the 'net pretty soon. Back in Brisbane I'd have checked the BOM's rain radar site and the electricity company's lightning groundstrike site ; you could watch the line of storms approaching by the radar images and get offline when the lightning groundstrikes actually started hitting the Brisbane metro area. I should have a poke around to see if there's a similar setup for Canberra...

Other Stuff

I don't usually blog other blogs, but this piece struck a chord with me today because I was having the exact same conversation with K2 whilst shopping on saturday, even the postulation was the same.

Just saw on the news a piece on Star Wars: Episode 2 Attack of the Clones which looks good, but is poorly named. I'm happy that Ewan had a good laugh with Nicole Kidman when they were told, evidently by CNN. I'm even happier to learn that Jar Jar Binks (so annoying I'm not going to bother finding a link for him) will not be appearing in this film. The trailer looks good.

I'm downloading the Worlds software as I write. If I can get into Alphaworld & find my old house, I'll post the coordinates here. I know I'd have it written in a notepad somewhere, but it's probably in Brisbane in a box. How did I get a house you ask? Well, I got into Alphaworld when it first started; I guess it was like frontier times because basically all you had to do was walk / fly / teleport out to some undeveloped land and you could build on it. As far as I know, no one ever went back through the place & cleaned up all the unused / unfinished now-ghost towns that were left when the next big net thing came along & everyone moved on.

Posted by Dean @ 11/06/2001 07:13:00 pm

...Survey says...

Elsewhere

BlogsNow | |

Stats

Page loads since 9 Nov 04:

Statistics

Tools

Powered by Blogger